Friday, July 8, 2016

More Summer Food

I'm still working on my chia info. Fascinating seed. I always want to check my facts before publishing, so it's a good thing I love to do research!

In the meantime, I'll fall back on another of my state fair winning recipes. It even had me liking diced tomatoes! The contest was for Hidden Valley Ranch's "Fresh Taste for the Family". It won first place in 2008, so I'll repeat the recipe here, but we need to talk about changes and substitutions.

Summer Confetti Slaw

Summer Confetti Slaw
by Deborah Garrett
Hidden Valley “Fresh for the Family” contest
Oregon State Fair 2008


Dressing
1 packet Hidden Valley Original Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
3/4 cup mayonnaise
Juice of one fresh lime
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Mix well and chill while preparing the vegetables.

Vegetables and Fruit
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup pineapple tidbits, well drained
1 cup grated carrots
2 cups grated jicama
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 medium jalapeƱo pepper, finely chopped

In a large bowl mix fruit and vegetables with the dressing.


Serves 6 - 8

This is a very yummy salad, but eight years later I'm wanting something lighter, less sweet, and fewer artificial additives. So what other dressing can you use? Probably one you already like on other salads. I think I'd go with a nice balsamic or tomato based dressing. For creaminess you can always add some plain or flavored Greek yogurt.

As for the ingredients, they are already pretty healthy. But now I'd probably add some charred fresh corn, fresh peas, and probably some kale. I'd also want to have something crunchy and decorative like some nuts or seeds. 

With this kind of recipe the variations are endless. Use your favorite fresh vegetables, a bit of fruit, and a dressing of your choice. Enjoy your summer bounty in salad form.




SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment