Friday, July 29, 2016

Transparency

I hope by now you have not tagged me as some kind of health enthusiast who follows every latest trend. I'm not. In fact, when I hear the latest fad for anything I generally avoid it. I tend to brush off fads as something a small group of people are touting because of a few anecdotal experiences, especially when they are food claims that seem reminiscent of snake oil - will cure anything.

For years, though, I have believed that we are all better off eating food as close to the way God made it as possible. Not only do we have a world of magnificent plants and animals, but also blessed us with people who discover delicious ways to prepare them. Now, we have the science to back up some of the "old wives tales" and the benefits of getting nutrition from nature instead of manufactured chemicals. (No, I'm not anti-medication either. Life-changing and life-saving medications are being developed all the time. I rely on several to help me through each day.)

My granddaughter took this shot. Most of my body is hidden.

My new CPAP machine













I am obese, have diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), knee/feet problems, and have used food to deal with my stress. And I've been WAY stressed these last 35+ years. Due to my work and special needs kids, I have become rather a homebody and exercise has been spotty at best. A year and a half ago I saw a snapshot of myself and was horrified! I knew I needed to change, but had never imagined myself as that big.

Low fat taco salad
Now, however, I have an empty nest and life is actually manageable enough to begin the life-change I've always wanted. I want to hike in the mountains, bicycle all over, and (you're the first to hear this) I've always wanted to run in a marathon. Just once. I don't want my body to hinder my photography opportunities. I want to run and play with my grandchildren. They say it's never too late to start, so here we go. I am of the conviction that baby steps and adjustments will produce more lasting results than large, unrealistic expectations. I still love chocolate and ice cream and other "no-no's", and will work to keep those treats in proper balance.



Speaking of chocolate, I recently followed some interesting links and wound up signing up for emails from One Green Planet. I have downloaded their app: Food Monster and many things look good. I don't plan on becoming vegan, but having some healthier options (without the added chemicals of most "diet" foods) is good. Vegan does not mean it matches my lifestyle either. Food from plant sources, nothing about fats and sugars.

I had to try this 5-Ingredient Microwave Brownie (vegan and gluten-free). Wow! I used Dutch processed cocoa, and had to use regular non-fat milk, but it was easy and delicious! The baking powder makes it rise so it isn't just a lump own the bottom of the cup. Follow the directions (learn from my mistakes) and enjoy. Too little micro time leaves it too wet. Too long and it starts to loose height and becomes harder.

Welcome to my journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment